Assoc. Prof. Julien Freitag - Sport & Exercise Medicine Physicians
Assoc. Prof. Julien Freitag is an experienced musculoskeletal specialist and is a fellow of the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians.
His practice is focused on the active management of musculoskeletal conditions including osteoarthritis and tendinopathy.
Assoc. Prof. Freitag is an authority in the area of clinical regenerative musuloskeletal medicine including techniques such as Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), Extracorporeal ShockWave Therapy and Mesenchymal Stem Cell (MSC) therapy. He has published numerous international articles in the area of regenerative medicine and is a frequent contributor and invited speak to local and international conferences. Assoc. Prof. Freitag is the Principle Clinical Investigator in a number of world leading research projects assessing the benefits of stem cell therapy in arthritis.
Assoc. Prof. Freitag has worked extensively within professional sport. His past roles have included that of club doctor at both VFL and ALF level, the Tour Down Under doping commissionaire and as the race doctor at a number of Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) World Cup events.
Professional and Board Membership
- Fellow of the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians
- International Cartilage Repair Society
- International Society of Cellular Therapy
- Australasian Society of Stem Cell Research
- International Journal of Bone and Rheumatology Research – Editorial Board Member
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery : Melbourne University
- Bachelor of Medical Science : Melbourne University
- Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians Fellowship
Adjunct Associate Professor of Biomedical Science – School of Biomedical Science, Charles Sturt University
Research and Publications
- Freitag J, Li D, Wickham J, Shah K, Tenen A. Effect of autologous adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cell therapy in the treatment of a post-traumatic chondral defect of the knee. BMJ case reports. 2017 Oct 15;2017:bcr-2017.
- Freitag J, Shah K, Wickham J, Boyd R, Tenen A. The effect of autologous adipose derived mesenchymal stem cell therapy in the treatment of a large osteochondral defect of the knee following unsuccessful surgical intervention of osteochondritis dissecans–a case study. BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2017 Dec;18(1):298.
- Freitag J, Bates D, Boyd R, Shah K, Barnard A, Huguenin L, Tenen A. Mesenchymal stem cell therapy in the treatment of osteoarthritis: reparative pathways, safety and efficacy–a review. BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2016 Dec 1;17(1):230.
- Freitag J, Ford J, Bates D, Boyd R, Hahne A, Wang Y, Cicuttini F, Huguenin L, Norsworthy C, Shah K. Adipose derived mesenchymal stem cell therapy in the treatment of isolated knee chondral lesions: design of a randomised controlled pilot study comparing arthroscopic microfracture versus arthroscopic microfracture combined with postoperative mesenchymal stem cell injections. BMJ open. 2015 Dec 1;5(12):e009332.
- Freitag J, Lenssen R, Slimmon D, Balster S. The effect of platelet-rich plasma injections in the non-surgical treatment of a partial rotator cuff tear. International Journal of Case Reports and Images (IJCRI). 2014 Jun 23;5(7):524-30.26;2013:bcr2012007463.
- Freitag J. The effect of photoactivated platelet-rich plasma injections in the novel treatment of shoulder osteoarthritis. International Journal of Case Reports and Images (IJCRI). 2014 Jun 28;5(8):546-52.
- Freitag JB, Barnard A. To evaluate the effect of combining photo-activation therapy with platelet-rich plasma injections for the novel treatment of osteoarthritis. BMJ case reports. 2013 Mar 26;2013:bcr2012007463.
- Freitag J, Barnard A, Rotstein A. Photoactivated platelet-rich plasma therapy for a traumatic knee chondral lesion. BMJ case reports. 2012 Dec 17;2012:bcr2012006858.